Monday, February 05, 2007



Zombies

Do you love zombies? I do. It’s weird. I’m terrified of anything remotely scary. My overactive imagination kicks in and doesn’t let me sleep for weeks. But zombies, they’re different. I love a good zombie movie. Favorites include: Dawn of the Dead, 28 days later: I really love that one, and perhaps my all time favorite Shaun of the Dead. Have you seen Shaun of the Dead? It’s one of the funniest movies ever. For Christmas, my husband bought me The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks. It’s fun but not much of a story, I was excited to see another book by him World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. I didn’t have time to read yet another book so I got it on audio. It’s great, although abridged, the book is just short stories so you’re not losing too much and I will now certainly read the book. The audio has a lot of people with strong voices reading it (which makes all the difference) Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, Jürgen Prochnow, Henry Rollins, John Turturro, Rob and Carl Reiner are just a few of the people who read for this. Here’s the description from Amazon:


Zombies are among us. In a series of journalistic-style interviews and monologues, Max Brooks tracks the institutional and geopolitical missteps that led to the collapse of civilization and follows the intrepid survivors as they tell the story of fighting their way back against a zombie horde of 200 million. Brooks tells the story of the world's desperate battle against the zombie threat with a series of first-person accounts "as told to the author" by various characters around the world. A Chinese doctor encounters one of the earliest zombie cases at a time when the Chinese government is ruthlessly suppressing any information about the outbreak that will soon spread across the globe. The tale then follows the outbreak via testimony of smugglers, intelligence officials, military personnel and many others who struggle to defeat the zombie menace.

First few lines:


Since the end of official hostilities, numerous attempts have been made to document the Zombie War. WORLD WAR Z is the definitive account of the technological, military, social, economic, and political details as told through survivors' stories of how civilization went from the brink of extinction to a universal victory against the living dead

No comments: